Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Task # 14 - Hey Mr. DJ!!

Now at this point it seems like the remaining tasks are going to be huge...I stopped trying to guess what each one could be at the beginning of week 3 just to I could try and remain sane, it is impossible to even try. Each and ever one of these tasks are so left field, so hard to determine, but so on the money when it comes to making me overcome particular fears.

Today I need to air my own show, live at the Cornerstone Bar & Grill and Bar....just hearing it made my heart sink a little. I've become accustom to just going with the flow over the past 14 days, so on the outside it seemed like I wasn't at all nervous, that is nowhere close to the truth. It is one thing to sit in a studio where there is ample quite quite so you can hear you're own thoughts...but LIVE on location, where there are people, live music, and me with nothing but a Mic and an ear piece for a couple hours, is enough to make anyone freak.

I am not one of those people who thinks working on the radio is an easy Job. Being at the station everyday you get to see how all the magic happens on air, and it has so many parts to making a small segment I don't know how I'm going to come out of this one alive.

So I needed to get to the station after work, the whole day people were asking me what I planned on saying one air, but really, who can plan for that? I figured I would just show up and it would all flow (don't get me wrong I totally figured I would crash & burn), all I needed to do was talk here and there no matter what the subject, just talk. Turns out when you're talking to yourself the conversations aren't really that interesting.

Kenny B was already at the restaurant doing his thing when I walked in, he handed me a bunch of papers with artists and song titles and told me to go nuts.....These papers were the playlists with the schedules of when I was supposed to talk and for how long, when the Traffic Report and Weather was supposed to happen, a list of all commercials...pretty much everything I SHOULD need to get through this. Only problem is, I didn't know how to follow it :s

Thankfully Josie and some friends showed up for some moral support (although distracting), and gave me the boost I needed to get through my first piece. Each and every time I was on air my heart stopped beating, there were so many things to distract me I found it hard to strike up topics to use...to the point I started talking about the faux pas of eating raw garlic :(

Each and every piece got easier and easier, all the amazing phone calls I was getting at the station kept the adrenaline running. I started to realize people didn't expect me to rock the show, but just to make it out in one piece and all the stronger for it. It must be said all those words of encouragement touched my heart, I can't believe how amazing and supportive all the Hotties of Ottawa are...the absolute best listeners a girl could ask for!!

2 and a 1/2 hours and on air fumble after fumble just flew by. I was already in the home stretch and needed to make my extro....This was actually such an awesome task! I know I wasn't the most amazing thing to listen to, but the fact I actually ran my own show felt pretty stellar! Huge thanks to Julio, the producer of all producers!!! You rocked my ear the whole night!!!! Also need to say thanks to my amazing friends for coming, and sending all those amazing texts of encouragement throughout the show. Josie and Kenny...thanks for the laughs! Love you Ottawa!