Thursday, February 5, 2009

Task # 12 - Shake your Junk

First off I need to break down the events leading up to my Belly Dancing debut....In my girlfriends car (Loredana) on the drive-up we heard the commercial discussing the "If you seek Amy" Britney controversy...I've heard this commercial several times already, and I really thought people were nuts. I had spent the last month or so thinking this song was about Britney having feelings for a girl named Amy, and that people were making a huge deal over her making reference to Lesbianism....Man, could I have been any more wrong?? The sheer amusement my friend had over my stupidity just made it classic, even though she was laughing at me, It made me like the song that much more. TEAM BRITNEY!!

6:00 pm - Hopewell School on Bank Street.
I decided to bring a few friends with me to enjoy this new experience, and what an experience it was. I've spent a majority of my life laughing at this particular type of dance, and it turns out karma was planning to pay me back - It was so difficult to get with the program. Our instructor was an absolute sweetheart who took the time to really get to know each of us, and slowly introduce us to the art of Belly Dancing. She started out slowly, giving us ample opportunity to think it was all a joke, then she took it up a notch and really made us work. I started to sweat, and found it difficult to keep up, but I was still having fun. It was almost like playing dress-up, the instructor brought a whole bunch of the veil type pieces of material that we could be free flowing with - overall, a great workout and an awesome experience.

I'm beginning to learn the more you step out of your comfort zone and the regular routine most of us have all become accustom to, the more experience and zest for life you get in return. Awesome Task!!